"The City of Maples". The town of Macon was first settled by James T. Haley in 1852. However, long before Mr. Haley's arrival, scores of immigrants from Kentucky and Virginia ventured into the region as early as 1829. A nearby trail, called the Bee Trace, became a popular pioneers' path to search for honey. This pursuit brought many travelers through the region. Later, deposits of coal would bring vital industry to the area.
In 1856 the town was laid out and platted. In an unusual circumstance, both the town and the county were named after Nathaniel Macon, a Revolutionary War veteran from North Carolina. Mr. Macon had served in the House of Representatives from 1791 to 1816. In 1863, the county seat was moved from Bloomington to Macon.
In 1872, a real estate man named John Beaumont donated 10,000 young maple trees in exchange for a payment of back taxes of $116.00. Because of these 10,000 trees, Macon has been named "The City of Maples".